- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Adire: West African Dyeing
Create Aso Adire (indigo-dyed fabric) using resist and dyeing techniques from the Yoruba culture of West Africa. We will celebrate the blending of this traditional art form with a contemporary vision. We will create textiles that will pulse with geometric shapes, patterns, rhythms and improvisation. This resist dyeing method enlivens traditional garments and popular modern wearable art. Learn about its designs and how to achieve them using wax, string, beads, cotton and rayon fabric and procion dyes.
Please dress expecting to get messy and wet.
Skill LevelAll Levels
Bring to class:
- Materials fee: $30 payable in class
- Seam ripper
- 2 medium-sized sewing needles
- Two types of cotton string (do not substitute nylon or other fibers):
• 100% cotton kite string from a local toy store
• 100% cotton package string from a local hardware store
- 6 yards of 100% cotton fabric: broadcloth, cotton sateen, etc. No silk!
- 100% cotton t-shirts for dying
- An assortment of paintbrushes – 1 each small, medium and large – for wax resist.
Please note: You will not be able to use these brushes for anything but wax after this.
- A pair of plastic gloves. Bluettes are best.
The following are available at your local hardware store:
- 1 heavy-duty respirator for your protection while mixing dyes
- 1 pair of plastic safety glasses
- 1 spray bottle
- 4 plastic dish-washing pans
Please dress expecting to get messy and wet and to stand for much of the class. A smock, overshirt or apron is recommended, along with comfortable shoes.
Instructor, Schedule, and Cost
This class is not currently offered. Let us know if you are interested.
View other courses in:
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Fall–Winter 2015/16 catalog (pdf)
- Spring–Summer 2016 catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We also add classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.