- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Learn the basics of knitting: casting on and off, choosing needles and yarns, knit and purl stitches, and how to read a pattern. Build skills quickly as you complete at least one project, a wallet or a multi-colored hat.
A NOTE ABOUT KNITTING CIRCLES: There are free knitting circles in Jamaica Plain and surrounding areas. For beginning knitters, we recommend this introduction before you join a knitting circle. Knitting circles are great – friendly gatherings for conversation and great places to gain new skills. But although people there will be happy to help you with a few things and give you a few tips, you won’t get a sustained introduction to the basics. Come learn basic skills at the Eliot School and your instructor will tell you all about knitting circles for your next step.
Age Range17+, teens by permission
Bring to first class:
- 2 pairs of circular knitting needles – size 7 or 8, 16" or 24" length
- Size 7 or 8 double pointed needles
- 3 balls of worsted weight, 100% wool yarn. Berroco Alpaca or Cascade 220 are recommended and carried at JP Knit & Stitch in Jamaica Plain.
Find out more about where to buy supplies.
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Spring–Summer 2014 catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children 2014
- Fall 2013–Winter 2014 Catalog (pdf)
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We are now adding classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.