- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Learn basic quiltmaking as you create a small sampler quilt. Each square uses a different machine or hand–sewing technique, such as strip piecing, half-square triangles and appliqué. Learn basic quilting terms and tools including the use of rotary cutters and rulers.
Age Range17+, teens by permission
Basic hand and machine sewing
You may use our sewing machines or bring your own.
Basic sewing kit:
- straight pins
- sewing needles
- scissors (1 pair for fabric only, 1 pair for paper, template plastic, etc.)
- seam ripper
- removable tape (painters’ blue masking tape is great)
- thread (match to your fabric or use grey)
- rotary cutter and cutting mat
- template plastic
- cutting ruler/s (Bias Square, 6 or 6 ½” x 24 or 24 ½”)
We will have mats, cutters and rulers with us for use during the class, so there is no need for you to rush out immediately to buy these.
We will be working on 6 different blocks that can be made into a wall hanging (about 34” x 49”). For this you will probably like to use coordinating colors and buy enough fabric all at once. If you are not sure what you would like to do, we will have scrap fabric with us that you can use to learn while deciding what you would like to do.
We recommend good quality 100% cotton fabric. Please pre-wash and iron.
- 6 to 8 fat quarters (18” x 20”) or ¼ yd (9” x 40”) of coordinating fabrics (darks, mediums & lights). THIS IS REALLY ALL YOU NEED FOR THE FIRST CLASS.
- 2 blocks require 14” squares of background fabric that reads as a “solid”, so we suggest getting ½ yard of background fabric.
- ½ yd. border fabric (if making a wall hanging) for sashing
- ¼ yd. post fabric (if making a wall hanging). Posts are squares that join the sashing.
- 1-½ yds. fabric for the back of the quilt
Find out more about where to buy supplies.
Instructor, Schedule, and Cost
This class is not currently offered. Let us know if you are interested.
View other courses in:
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.