- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Intermediate Sewing: Beyond Basics
Move your sewing skills to the next level. Read patterns, choose and cut fabric expertly and make simple fitting adjustments. Gain confidence in letting your pattern influence your fabric choice. Get started with a garment of your choice. Students may take this short course multiple times, completing multiple projects and advancing to more complex patterns.
You may also like to consider Sewing Open Workshop, where students work on their own individual projects, at their own pace, with the instructor as mentor and interaction with other students creating an atmosphere of camaraderie.
Age Range17+, teens by permission
Basic Sewing or equivalent experience
Recommended sewing kit:
- 1 pair 3”–4” sharp scissors (embroidery type, for cutting threads)
- 1 pair 9” cutting shears (Fiskar, Weiss and Gingher are good brands)
- common pins (in pin cushion or small box) Note: magnetic pin containers may damage computer discs
- tape measure (not pull-out)
- 6” metal sewing gauge, for measuring (Dritz or other brand)
- assortment of hand sewing needles, sizes 5–10
- needle threader
- seam ripper
- marking pencils: 1 dark, 1 light color. Use chalk or wax, not quilters’ pencils.
- thread for marking and basting. 1 white and 1 black are good choices
- size 66 plastic bobbins (please bring at least 3 to start)
At first class, we will discuss:
- amount and types of fabric you will need
- notions listed on patterns: zipper, interfacing, etc.
Find out where to buy supplies.
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Spring–Summer 2014 catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children 2014
- Fall 2013–Winter 2014 Catalog (pdf)
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We are now adding classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.