- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Intermediate Sewing: Beyond Basics
Move your sewing skills to the next level. Read patterns, choose and cut fabric expertly and make simple fitting adjustments. Gain confidence in letting your pattern influence your fabric choice. Get started with a garment of your choice. Students may take this short course multiple times, completing multiple projects and advancing to more complex patterns.
Age Range17+, teens by permission
Basic Sewing or equivalent experience
Recommended sewing kit:
- 1 pair 3”–4” sharp scissors (embroidery type, for cutting threads)
- 1 pair 9” cutting shears (Fiskar, Weiss and Gingher are good brands)
- common pins (in pin cushion or small box) Note: magnetic pin containers may damage computer discs
- tape measure (not pull-out)
- 6” metal sewing gauge, for measuring (Dritz or other brand)
- assortment of hand sewing needles, sizes 5–10
- needle threader
- seam ripper
- marking pencils: 1 dark, 1 light color. Use chalk or wax, not quilters’ pencils.
- thread for marking and basting. 1 white and 1 black are good choices
- size 66 plastic bobbins (please bring at least 3 to start)
At first class, we will discuss:
- amount and types of fabric you will need
- notions listed on patterns: zipper, interfacing, etc.
Find out where to buy supplies.
Instructor, Schedule, and Cost
Section 1W: 8 Mondays, 6:30-9 pm
Mar 9 - Apr 27, 2015 (snow day make-up May 4)
$230 – OPEN
Instructor: Deborah West
Section 2W: 8 Wednesdays, 9:30 am-12 pm
Feb 25 - Apr 15, 2015 (snow day make-up Apr 22)
$230 – OPEN
Instructor: Carol Price
Section 3W: 8 Thursdays, 10 am-12:30 pm
Feb 26 - Apr 16, 2015 (snow day make-up Apr 23)
$230 – OPEN
Instructor: Dora Cruz
This class is bilingual English/Espanol.
View other courses in:
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Summer Program for Children 2015
- Spring–Summer 2015 catalog (pdf)
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We also add classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.