- By Category
- By Age Group
- By Day & Time
- Evaluate a Class
- Propose a Class
- Private Lessons
- Home School Option
- Gift Certificates
- Course Supplies
- Links & Resources
- School Partnerships
- Get Involved
- About Us
- Contact Us
Shibori is the Japanese art of creating patterns by binding, stitching, folding and twisting fabric during the dyeing process. In this begining level workshop, learn some basic traditional techniques using commonly available commercial dyes. Experiemnt on a series of silk and cotton scarves and go home with the skills to dye larger pieces at home. Limit 8 students.
Dress for class expecting to get messy and wet.
Age Range17+, teens with instructor's permission
All dyeing materials will be supplied in class, including two silk scarves per student. Additional scarves will be available for purchase in class.
Please bring to class:
- Notebook and writing utensil
- Vinyl or latex gloves if you want to keep your hands dry during dyeing
- Additional fabric as desired, pre-washed* and dried
* We will pre-wash the silk scarves we make available in class. If you bring your own fabric, Dharma Trading recommends: "to pre-wash in hot water and Synthrapol or our Professional Textile Detergent, all silk before dyeing or painting to remove any leftover residue from the silk worms (Seracin) or fingerprints and other stuff that can cause the fabric to dye unevenly. Our product Milsoft is excellent for restoring the soft hand to silk after dyeing." Other fabrics including cotton must also be pre-washed in hot water and detergent before dyeing.
When classes are FULL, put yourself on a waiting list. But please do NOT register for full classes.
- Spring–Summer 2014 catalog (pdf)
- Summer Program for Children 2014
- Fall 2013–Winter 2014 Catalog (pdf)
- Registration Form (pdf)
- Refunds, Cancellations, Discounts & Other Policies
We are now adding classes outside of our printed catalog. Browse to find out more.